Thursday, April 3, 2014

Find Out Which US Dialect You Use

US Dialect Quiz at the New York Times website

As you travel around the country, you'll probably notice that people talk in different dialects.  Sure, they all speak English, but certain words and phrases will be used differently to describe different things.  As someone who has lived over 15 years on both the East and West Coasts, I have been able to fondly compare the way folks talk between my friends and family.  And it's interesting that because of my length of time spent on both coasts, I now have a mixed dialect that includes influences from California and New Jersey.

This fun quiz you can find on the New York Times website allows you to answer a few questions to figure out your dialect map.  I originally saw this study by Joshua Katz last year, and it looks like he was involved in developing this supplemental quiz as part of the New York Times.  This quiz and assessment are a fun way to personally see how the way you talk fits onto the map.  This came out pretty accurate for me it seems - my 3 cities it said were Santa Clara, CA, Irvine, CA and Newark, NJ.  While I have never lived in Santa Clara or Irvine - it's still a Southern California influence which seems pretty likely for me - and I have lived in Newark so that certainly works.

See what this comes out for you - and let me know in the comments if you find it accurate, too!

>> Take the Dialect Quiz at the New York Times website



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!