Tuesday, August 27, 2013

What motivates you to travel?

So I decided to get started with this blog thing.  Over the last decade plus, I've had this growing urge to just get out and visit places I've never been to - and eat at places that were unique to the local area.  I think many people get to a similar age and feel they need to see the world.  But, of course, new limitations hold you back - work, family obligations, health, finances, etc. - the list is full of reasons why you can't travel as much as you'd like.

The solution is just to hang you hat on a few inspirations that will drive toward getting out there and seeing things - however big or small of an attraction it may be.  I thought we'd slow down after having kids, but I think it just presented an extra challenge for us to figure out we can get out more.  Here are a few experiences and thoughts that help motivate me when looking forward to the next day off, weekend or upcoming holiday:

  • No Destination Too Small (or Too Popular) - of course I appreciate big trips overseas but there's nothing wrong with checking out a 15 minute drive to the next town over to see something.  In addition, some people get turned off by an attraction being too "touristy" - well, there's a reason why it's popular, so don't let that stop you either
  • "I'll do it next time" - I've missed a few things on trips with this excuse.  But in reality, you just don't know when you'll be back, so take the opportunity to check it out when you are there - one of our biggest "I'll do it next time" moments was not taking a gondola ride in Venice (our consolation is the gondola ride at the Venetian in Vegas...just not the same)
  • While Supplies Last - related to the bullet above - next time you get there, it may not be there.  I can tell you that we always wanted to eat at Tavern on the Green and Windows of the World.  Well that ain't happening anymore since they're gone now...
  • Get Out and Go - as someone who has lived a significant amount of time on both the East and West Coasts, I realized your time in one place can be limited.  How many of us have attractions that are near us that we think we have plenty of time to visit, but we just never make it.  Who knows how long you'll live where you are, so get out and go - or the chance may be gone
  • One Little Euro - while traveling with a budget is important, don't let it hold you back from missing some truly unique experiences.  My wife nearly missed see Pala d'Oro, the beautiful gold altar at St. Mark's Basicilica because she didn't want to pay one Euro.  With some coaxing, she's glad she finally paid for a chance to see it.
These are just a few things that inspire me.  So what inspires you to travel?  There's no right answer - it's truly a personal adventure to mark another pin stop on your travel map.

2 comments:

  1. Neat blog Dann! Look forward to hearing more about your travels!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for being my first commenter, Ang! Please feel free to come by and comment on anything I post. Thanks!!

      Delete

Tell me what you think!